by Andrea Burke
Let’s see how well I can do with this. Someone keep score.
This year, The Academy is nominating 10 films which I think is a heinous idea, but whatever. The decision has been made. And the nominees will be announced tomorrow. So here goes my best guess for the 10 movies that will be nominated. I’ve also included if directors/actors/etc will be nominated from said movie.
1. The Hurt Locker. Kathryn Bigelow, best director. Jeremy Renner and Anthony Mackie deserve acting nominations, best actor and best supporting actor respetively.
2. Up in the Air. Note: This movie got big early buzz, and I think its too bad some of it has died out. It deserves it. Jason Reitman, best director, best original screeplay. George Clooney, Best Actor, Vera Famiga and Anna Kenrick, both will be up for Best Supporting Actress
3. Avatar. James Cameron, best director. I’m guess it will win all the nerdy special effects/tech awards too, whatever they are called.
4. Up. Its animated, but it’s great. Best Original Screenplay, Best Animated Film. And if Randy Newman wrote another song (I can’t remember), it’ll get nominated.
5. Inglourious Basterds. Tarantino, for directing and best original screenplay. Christoph Waltz will not only be nominated, but take home the Oscar for best supporting actor. I’m calling it. OH AND he’ll give a terrible acceptance speech.You can bet your life on it.
6. Crazy Heart. Jeff Bridges, best actor.
7. Precious. another win prediction goes to Monique for best supporting actress. Gaby Sidibe, best actress.
8. (500) Days of Summer. This is not a shoe-in. It’s my out-on-a-limb one, but c’mon, they should nominate this excellent movie!
I’ll call it all again before the acual awards, but let me say now, if Avatar wins it’s a crying shame.