I know summer is over by looking at what’s coming out in the theaters each week. If you pay attention, there’s a very distinct end to the season. No more weekends with 2 or more large budget films competing for your money, no more big action films, its time for the more mellow, more serious films- Films the studios want to win oscars.
So, because it is the end, here are my top 10 movies from summer 2009.
1. Up- If you’re a grown up, don’t dismiss it because it’s animated. It’s also very well written, and deals with grownup themes like loss, and kid/adult themes like adventure.
2. Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince- The movies are never as good as the books, so if you haven’t read them, you would probably enjoy them. I don’t know anyone who’s read them who didn’t love them.
3. 500 Days of Summer – If you missed this little indie number, you missed out on a lot. It’s a chaoticly filmed piece about a chaotic relationship. It reminded me a lot of Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, but Summer wasn’t as serious or dark.
4. Inglourious Basterds- see my review
5. Julie and Julia- I Love Meryl Streep.
6. Star Trek- I remember it being a little long, but I still liked it. Sorry that’s all I have to say for this one.
7. The Hangover- “You guys might not know this, but I consider myself a bit of a loner. I tend to think of myself as a one-man wolf pack. But when my sister brought Doug home, I knew he was one of my own. And my wolf pack… it grew by one. So there… there were two of us in the wolf pack… I was alone first in the pack, and then Doug joined in later. And six months ago, when Doug introduced me to you guys, I thought, “Wait a second, could it be?” And now I know for sure, I just added two more guys to my wolf pack. Four of us wolves, running around the desert together, in Las Vegas”
8. Transformers 2- Judging from what it made it the box office, you’ve all seen it already.
9. District 9- overrated? yes. But I enjoyed the story, I did want those aliens to be free. But I did have major problems with the plotting.
10. Angels and Demons- I love Tom Hanks too. And Ewan McGregor. This movie was crazy! absolutely, completely impossible, would never ever happen. But I like it anyway. Sometimes that’s what summer movies are all about.